Sunday, November 11, 2012

My First Route Week - Summary

Well...I don't really know where to start. I am very torn in writing this next blog post.  When I started this blog, I wanted my blog to be only positive, uplifting, and inspiring to those who read it.  However, I also want it to be real, honest and raw. We all know that reality isn't always sunshine and roses.  And so I'm having a hard time striking a balance in between those two extremes after this past week. I'll do my best...

This past week was by far the most trying week I've had so far in Tanzania.  Not just for me, but for everyone here- from abroad -working for WomenCraft.  I saw almost every person here have a break down at some point, and I wasn't excluded from the norm.

Maybe it was the isolation.  Here in Murgwanza, life is simple and beautiful...but very remote.  The most traffic we see during the day is herds of goats passing through the mountains and the most excitement usually is one of us chasing some sort of animal out of the house (mouse, frog, tarantula...you name it).  And lets just say that none of us came here for the Ngara nightlife draw! We all came here to work...so weekends now offer new challenges.

Maybe it was the weather.  We've had torrential downpours on and off for a week and a half, with thunder, lightening, and even hail.  Sun breaks yes, but they have been scattered and rare.

Maybe it was the communication breakdown.  With the weather being so bad, access to the Internet and phones has been very rocky.  We've had periods of 24 hours + where nothing worked...which means not only can people not communicate with their loved ones, but it is hard to be productive at work as well. This creates a lot of road blocks in moving forward.

And maybe it was Route Week.  While visiting the artisans in the villages was extremely rewarding (people were warm, welcoming and overjoyed that it was pay day), there were also a lot of hard situations we encountered.  For some reason, I don't feel like laying all the details out in this blog of the struggles people here face day to day, and explaining to you the difficult decisions WomenCraft is faced with at this current time.  I can however tell you that for the first time in my employment history, some of the decision I have to make could - to some extent - mean life or death to someone.  And that is a very heavy weight on any one's heart.  And with that, comes a great deal of responsibility.

So we are working as a team, trying to be creative and do our best to help improve the lives for people here to our best ability...while simultaneously understanding that we can't change life here in Tanzania overnight, or help everyone.  I am going to try to post some pictures in my next post from Route Week (if the internet is fast enough). When women artisan groups become a part of WomenCraft, they sign a waiver saying that we can take unlimited photos - so my camera was out and in full swing. Unlike the people in town, these Tanzanians understand our shutter happy ways.  They have been taught through WomenCraft that our photography will help spread their story and help them to (hopefully) gain more sales and improve their livelihoods.

One thing's for sure: it's amazing how happy people can be with so many struggles and so little at their disposal.  A reality check for me, for sure. A reminder of how thankful I am for all of you and for the life/day to day reality I've been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment