Sunday, January 20, 2013

Chakula Kitamu Sana! That Was Delicious!

Whoa.  My past few posts have been kinda heavy, so I'm going to lighten it up a bit and talk about something everybody loves to talk about: Food!

Before I came to Tanzania, I was debriefed on some of the foods I would be eating during my time here.  Ugali, rice pilau, and cucumber salad just to mention a few.  I had these dishes prepared for me, and even made them for some of my family and friends.  And all of these, I was told, I would be eating with my hands.

NOT true people.  I've had ugali once out at a restaurant in Kahama because I specifically searched it out and wanted to try it, had rice pilau a handful of times at home, and cucumber salad last night at a muzungu party in town.  And while I have eaten with my hands a couple of times here, more often than not restaurants - even in Ngara - seem to have utensils at your disposal.  So Cleven, I know that you were looking out for me trying to teach me the local ways, but things here in Tanzania are a-changin'!

Granted, the life we have here at the Retreat House in Murgwanza is not the same lifestyle the locals lead.  But...all the same, we eat many of the same local staples, including:  plantains (which they call "food bananas" here), potatoes, rice, beans, mandasi (google it), chapati, and bread.  Basically anything with carbs goes here.

Here are a few of my FAVORITES, which I will miss so much when I return back to the states:

CHIPS MAYAI (in English?  Eggs & Fries)
Have you ever considered putting FRENCH FRIES in your eggs?  Well, you should.  It's delicious!  And Hilary and I jump at every chance to eat it...in town, at our house, or wherever we are.  Sometimes people put hot sauce on it, and sometimes fresh veggies...like onions and tomatoes.  No matter how you dress it, it's simple, cheap (about $1 USD out at a restaurant), and tasty.

SAMBUSAS
Sambusas are made in a variety of ways.  These scrumptious little pastries are sometimes filled with meat, or sometimes veggies.  If you're buying them off the side of a bus, it's anybody's guess!  But my favorite kind are the kind filled only with rice.  There are two young girls who sell these at the Saturday Market in town, and every Saturday like clockwork I go and buy some from them.  The first time I did, my Swahili was so bad and I was so unfamiliar with the pricing that I ended up buying 30 of them, on accident.  Luckily, we had a potluck that night and I was able to share. I however no longer get "muzungu'd", meaning these girls now know what I want and give them to me at a fair, local price. (10 of these tasty treats cost 500 shillings, which is about $.33 USD).

ROASTED CORN
In addition to piki pikis (motorcycles) waiting for someone who needs a ride and the occasional stray dog or goat, there are corn vendors lining the streets in Tanzania.  These people sit on the side of the road, roasting corn over an open fire BBQ.  It's not sweet like corn at home.  In fact, to me, its more like eating popcorn on a stick. But...when you're wandering around town, its a great roadside snack.  One of these suckers will set you back 300 shillings (um...$.20 USD?)

What say you?  That lady is Indian?  True.  I cheated.  Sorry!  They do the same thing in India and I do not have a picture yet of the corn folks here.  I'll work on it.

Besides that, I will really miss the fresh local fruits and veggies...avocados and mangoes the most.  And...avocado pineapple juice is something they make from scratch occasionally here at the Retreat House, and it is super good!  I will miss that as well.

Overall, food in Tanzania is basic.  No fancy sauces and dishes don't change all that often (some volunteers I know in town working for other organizations, for example, eat the same thing for every meal).  But all in all, I love it.  With my high metabolism, a carb filled diet is right up my alley.  And knowing that 100% of the food comes from a local source (unlike at home) makes me feel even better about consuming it.

I know that some of my readers have been to Tanzania before.  If you have, please share your experience!  How did you find the food here and what were your favorites?  I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment