Saturday, December 15, 2012

In Sickness & In Health

Illnesses run rampant in developing countries, and Tanzania is no exception to the rule. The business to be in for profit here locally without a doubt is funerals, and we hear of someone who's passed away or has been killed weekly. Ok, Ok...so people die weekly in the US too, I know, but it's different here. With limited or no access to medical resources (or money to meet that need), people simply deal with the cards they've been dealt until they can do no more. Malaria is the number one killer in Tanzania, but locally here in the past year or so there has been a new scary outbreak of Rabies which has caused several deaths...so I steer clear of the dogs in the streets. The HIV and AIDS epidemic also does not help, as a weakened immune system for many here locally means that there's an even slimmer chance that they'll recover from anything they may catch.

Have I gotten sick? You bet. It all started when I was in India. Jarrod & I both expected that I would get sick (not many people escape India without getting something apparently), but he helped me to do everything that I could to avoid it. I brushed my teeth using bottled water, washed my hands or used hand sanitizer before every meal, and tried to eat only at restaurants recommended by someone we knew or that were listed in a travel guide. It wasn't until my third week of travel that I caught anything at all.

We took many modes of transport while in India, but lucky for us this day we had randomly decided to take a car. Our taxi was going to drive us just a few short hours from Kovalum to Varkala (or “Barfkala as I aptly renamed it), a very popular tourist trap on the Western shore of India. We left shortly after lunch, and I started feeling nauseous immediately. Usually when I start feeling sick, I can calm my mind, concentrate and force myself to hold it together, but nothing was stopping this beast this time. I had already mentioned to Jarrod that I was feeling kind of off, but this time I turned to him in the backseat and calmly said “I think we might need to pull over”. He paused for a moment, and then interpreted my sentence into its correct meaning: “pull the f&!@ over now!” He asked our driver to do so, and we made it JUST in time for me lose my load out the side of the car, a sight for all to see. This continued every hour, on the hour, during the rest of our taxi drive and for the remainder of the day once we arrived. Every time I threw up, I prayed to God it was the last time. I'm fairly certain I've never been more violently ill in my life.

Having been so sick in India, I was confident that I would be in the clear in Africa...that it would be all out of my system. But, to no avail. My first week in Tanzania, all of us co-workers went out to a bar for some drinks and food, and to be a good sport (against my intuition), I tried the goat. Just one very small piece, but that was enough. I threw up all night long and since then, have been almost strictly vegetarian during my time here in Tanzania...and have yet to get sick again.

Everyone takes their turn, whether its vomiting, diarrhea or injuries. For example, my co-worker Linda sprained her ankle running in the hills here and was on crutches when I first arrived, and a few weeks ago Helena had a spark shoot out of her arm when lightening hit our office. Exciting stuff. And then, there's Shannon. A couple of weeks after I arrived here, my co-worker Shannon started noticing a bump on her foot. She thought that it was just a wart, but it kept growing and getting darker and darker by the day. She asked us what we thought it was, but no one knew. When conditions didn't improve, she finally went to see the doctor, and found out that a chigger had buried itself in her foot. She most likely got it out during one of our Route Week visits, and was criticized for wearing flip flops -not closed-toed shoes- in the mud. She had to have it dug out of her foot with a knife, and as bad as that sounds, it was even worse when they opened her up to find that it had started laying eggs in her skin...which also had to be dug out. Needless to say, for weeks we were all thoroughly examining our feet nightly, paranoid and nervous that we would share the same fate.

I, so far, have been very, very lucky. I get flea bites on a regular basis, but they are VERY minimal compared to those of several of my co-workers (some have huge rashes and scars covering their bodies from the severity of the bites). And only this week have I managed to injure myself. On Monday, I was carrying a huge duffle bag up the hill from our house to the office and I tweaked my hip. Not sure what I did, but it hurt like hell. Lucky for me, it repaired itself within a few days, and I was good as new...just in time for me to get tripped up in my mosquito net Thursday as I was exiting my bed, so that I could gracefully fall and face plant myself on the concrete floor of my bedroom. Good Morning Africa!

So...what am I doing to stay healthy? Well no matter how busy or lazy I feel, I make time to exercise. We go for hikes in the hills behind our house, or walk into town and back...which takes 40 minutes each way. Shannon leads yoga class once a week, and I do the same with hip hop. On top of that, Hilary has some pretty incredible work-out DVDs, so we get yoked with Jillian Michaels in the bedroom, using rocks from the hillside as weights. If solitary confinement in prison is anything like the isolation is out here in Murgwanza, I am confident that if I went to jail I would be like those inmates that do body building all the time, and would come out looking more ripped than I had been in 10 years!

In addition, I've been taking my malaria medication (which I hate). About half of my co-workers are not taking it, but I don't think its worth the risk...so I continue on. Also, I finally got my care package from my Dad this week, which contained lots of things to keep me healthy and sane. I don't think I've ever been so excited to see Flintstone Gummie Vitamins in my life!

And...then there's mental health. All of us “imports” out here do the best that we can with all of the tools in our belt to keep ourselves healthy and balanced, no matter what the day presents to us. We plan game nights together, special events (such as a Secret Santa exchange we had the other night – my idea, thank you very much), and most of all are just there to keep each other company. With the phones and internet working erratically and irregularly, it is very hard for all of us to communicate with our friends and family back home, so when someone reaches to the bottom of their barrel, we help to pick them back up. We remind each other why we're here, and what we're trying to accomplish, both personally and professionally, in the name of helping others.

This holiday season, my request is that you dig deep – into your heart, into your mind, or into your pockets if you prefer, to give something to someone else in need who truly needs it. Without the love, generosity and compassion of others, this life would be a lot more difficult for all of us. Try it - give just a little this Christmas season, and I think you'll be surprised to find how much/what you'll get back in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment