Thursday, April 25, 2013

Dad's Visit to Africa, Part 1: Ngara, Tanzania

This story is...2 months overdue or so...but better late than never, right? I'm inspired to write today, so I hope you're inspired to read!  This is the first part of my story about my dad's visit to Africa.  Part 1 will take place in Ngara - where I lived for 5 months.  Part 2 will be about our time in Rwanda, where we went on safari and took in the big city life.  Here....we....go.....

I am now back in the states, but as you all know from my blog, my dad came to visit me in Africa on February 1st.  For your first time off the continent of North America, that's a pretty big leap to head to rural Africa.  The average person would more likely choose a cruise to Europe or something like that to ease themselves into international travel.  But, not my dad.  He just so happened to have a daughter who wanted to travel to one of the most remote areas of the world, and he was determined to share the experience with her.

Edson (my co-worker and our company driver), Hilary (my co-everything) and I made the early trek from Ngara, Tanzania to Kigali, Rwanda that morning to pick my dad up from the airport.  The first part of our drive was treacherous, to say the least. The massive rainfall had made our "shortcut" road very sketchy, and we swerved and slid in the mud for a good hour before we hit pavement.  At least 5 times during that part of the drive, I said to myself in one way or another "ok...so when the jeep tips over to the left and we crash, I'm gonna pull myself over towards the driver side of the vehicle by grasping the edge of the seat like so....."  Thanks to the quality of the jeep and the incredible talent of our driver Edson, we made it safely to the border and were on our way to the big city.

It being my fifth month in Tanzania, I knew my company well, and knew Edson to be reliably late.  So...I told him that my dad's flight was arriving an hour earlier than it really was...and we were actually early to the airport!  The three of us sat in the lounge area, at Bourbon Cafe, and enjoyed gourmet coffees.  After our 4+ hour trip to Kigali, and a caffeine boost, we were all feeling a bit antsy.  Hilary excused herself to the bathroom, while Edson decided to head outside to chat with some friends.  I looked at the clock on my cell phone after a minute or so.  15 minutes til dad's arrival.  Waiting, waiting, waiting.  I was used to that.  But then, I looked up, and to my surprise saw him walking through the arrival gates.  I was watching Hilary & Edson's stuff at the booth we were posted at, and paused for a minute not knowing if I should move or not.  "Dad!" I shouted.  He turned and saw me, and as soon as I saw his face emotions overcame me.  I rushed out of the booth and ran into his arms, both of us bursting into tears.  I had been so isolated for so long that it felt wonderful not only seeing someone new and familiar, but also someone who had known me for my whole life and knew who I really was, inside and out.

Soon after our tearful embrace, we reunited with my co-workers and were on our way back to Ngara.  We had to make it back to the border before it closed.  We arrived back at the WomenCraft headquarters late, and my dad was completely exhausted after his 48 hour journey.  I got him acquainted with the house, and we all went to sleep.

The next five days were jam packed with activities. We headed to the orphanage for street boys for him to watch me teach my hip hop class and for him to make balloon animals for the boys.  We spent time hiking in the hills behind my home.  And...dad visited the artisan groups with us to give vision exams to the women.  Well...technically he didn't do it.  We brought along a local optometrist assistant and she administered the exams while dad gave her advice.

One of my favorite parts about my dad's visit was seeing my experience through his eyes.  He was in awe and surprised by things that I had considered normal at that point.  He took lots of photos of my normal day to day activities that weren't typical by US standards, but I considered just to be a part of my lifestyle.  These photos for the most part were taken by Shannon (another co-worker of mine) or my dad, although a few are mine.  Enjoy seeing my journey through the eyes of others...

Boys at the Nazerete Orphanage admiring dad, and his fancy toys: sunglasses & camera.

Me teaching the baby freeze.  This was the boys' favorite move, and they all got it so quickly!

Teaching choreography.  Dirty shirt and face from rolling around on the ground.

Sister Nicole announcing to the boys that this is my dad.

Teaching the boys how to make balloon animals...

En garde!  A sword.

Happy participants.  Probably was their first time ever seeing a balloon...

Eye exams at our first group, Gichacha.  The optometrist assistant is giving the exam, while dad assists.

Eye exams for the first time ever....

for women who really need it...

My dad is a 3rd generation optometrist, and he said that these lenses they used for exams in Tanzania were like something his grandfather used many, many years ago...

Checking vision improvement with the use of the WomenCraft baskets.

Dad noticed these glasses were crooked on her face, so he adjusted them so she could be more comfortable.

As you can see, she was very pleased with her improved sight.  She said something in Swahili, and Pastor (my co-worker) turned to my dad and translated what she said.  "She said that she is so happy she can see her weaving clearly now, that she's skipping lunch today so she can continue working".  Tears welled up in my dad's eyes and all he could do was nod, and then walk away for a few minutes to gain composure.  He'd been administering eye exams for 30+ years  in the states, but he could really see the big impact he made in every artisan's life here in Ngara...

In places where artisans met and didn't have shelter, I held the eye exam chart.  Dad trained Hilary & Pastor (the social impact team) on how to administer exams, so that they could continue after he left and distribute glasses as necessary...

Seeing the children as we toured from village to village was always one of my favorite parts.  Pastor was adored by all the kids.

This was our last stop of the day on Route Week, and while the artisan group was not there, this little boy was.  He was dancing outside his house and my dad took a video of him & I dancing together.  Here he is watching himself, without question for the first time on film.  He couldn't stop dancing and smiling...and neither could dad.

This is what our walk into town (Ngara) looked like.  About 5 km from Murgwanza, where I lived.

Buying fruit & veggies at the local market in Ngara.  We did this several times a week.  Hilary is most likely swatting a fly away from her face...

Besides walking on foot, our other option for transportation was to hail a taxi...or otherwise known as a motorcycle to us.  "Piki piki" is what they say in Tanzania.  My dad loved taking the motorcycles home.  Here, my motorcycle driver is giving me change.  The typical cost for a ride from town to Murgwanza is 1500 shillings, or approx. $1 USD.

Groups of kids often follow you around, curious to see a white person in their neck of the woods.

Hiking in the hills behind our house

Children do a lot of hard labor, and carrying sticks to make fires is one of the many tasks they perform.  These kids followed us up to the house and....

...had the special treat of having balloon animals made for them.  It was rather amusing to see them head down to their piles of sticks with balloon animal hats on their heads.  They looked puzzled at each other and thought "wait a second...how am I going to do this?" The balloon animal hats won out, however, and they carried their sticks under their arms.

This was my office and desk at WomenCraft.

Ernestina, our WomenCraft Director, wearing her full kitenge traditional wear as always.
The vision team, giving more exams.


And to finish out the week/evening in Ngara, we stopped by "Garden Pause"...a popular local bar. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment